Aside from sister #2 and her lovely meal planning success. I am guilty of hardly ever planning a meal. I enjoy creating meal plans for others, but not so much for myself. My typical weeknight “meal plan” begins as I scan my kitchen the night of, to only come up with a concoction of goulash (as my husband would say).
Many of our meals consist of tuna, salmon, or beans as our main source of protein. We tend to steer away from eating meat due to many reasons I will share in a later post. There are endless options to create healthy meals in a whip without adding high-calorie meats.
Try it! Go meatless for a meal at least once a week, and you will feel the reward of healthy, clean eating!
I wanted something quick and easy (that I actually had all of the ingredients for) AND with a bang of flavor. After searching for a simple recipe, I came across this delicious and easy “Sushi” meal.
This dish consists of all your food groups in one bite...I’ll take that!
To make this a SUPER quick meal, prepare rice ahead of time or use minute rice. You can also have the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions cut up ahead of time. I did not have all of the ingredients from the original recipe, so I substituted a few items of my own.
Tuna “Sushi” Stacks
Author: Emily, Inspired by SkinnyTaste California Sushi Stacks
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 3-4 sushi stacks
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice or jasmine rice (I used ½ cup of each)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ tomato
- ½ cucumber
- ¼ red onion
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lemon or lemon juice
- 1 pack tuna
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2-4 tablespoons tahini
- 3-6 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Optional: salt and pepper, sesame seeds
- First, prepare the rice according to directions. Toss cooked rice with rice vinegar and 3 teaspoons soy sauce and allow to cool completely. Alternatively use leftover rice or minute white rice (1 cup uncooked) for a super quick assembly.
- Meanwhile, dice the tomato, cucumber, and red onion and toss together with a squeeze of lemon juice
- Mash a large avocado with some salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Thoroughly drain the tuna and mix with 2-4 tablespoons tahini, can of cannellini beans and another squeeze of lemon. For extra flavor, add 2-3 teaspoons soy sauce.
- To assemble: Press 1/3 of the tomato mixture into the bottom of the cup.
- Press 1/3 of the avocado mixture on top.
- Press 1/3 of the tuna and bean mixture on top.
- Press 1/3 of the rice mixture on top. Compress.
- Lightly run a sharp knife around the edge of the measuring cup and then invert onto a plate.
- Top with 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce, sesame seeds, freshly cracked pepper, and another squeeze of lemon as desired. Enjoy immediately.
Emily is a Wife & Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist.